Sunday, 9 January 2011

Playing Around With ArcGIS

With the gigantic software that is ArcGIS, I do admit that it is easier for everyone to just pinpoint and draw areas with Google Earth. Converting GE shapes into shapefiles became a necessity, of which I did with ease, although I did a little workaround:


  1. an ArcScript that converts KML files to shapefiles by Jason Parent which can convert a file or a group of files in a "folder". I had no problem when converting points.
  2. DNR Garmin by DNR-Minnesota which I used to convert one polygon at a time into a feature. Not that convenient but it beats having to redigitize the area in ArcMap all over again. Using this application I noticed GE puts an empty string on the first point of the polygon.

No comments: